Monday, January 20, 2014

Sew Cute!



    My style is a combination of styles. I love old, I love antiques, but I'm not looking to restore to period, I'm looking to blend old and new. To honor the time period, but to remodel my house and update things as well. 
    I'm working on a bathroom now, one that will be my daughter's when we finish the 800 square foot addition. The bathroom was a powder blue with things like a pitcher and basin, and Ivory Soap ads from 1900 ( authentic). That's my style, not theirs, so I'm doing a mini makeover. I'm making it fun, with spa colors and a tin mermaid sign as the focal point.
     I had this lace that I found in an old trunk in the attic when I was a kid. It looks like it was being handmade in the early 1900s to be part of a dress or petticoats. I saved it all these years because I knew it was special. 
I had a few yards of it and used it for a vintage stocking for my sister, a holiday apron pocket, and now a curtain for my girl's  bathroom. I bought a yard of material for $4.00, hemmed it into a swag, used part of the flat part for tie ups, and buttons from my button jar. For 4.00 and a couple hours, it came out exactly as I pictured it.
    I'm off to finish painting, and next weekend I'll be restoring the claw foot tub. More to come on  this mini makeover.

No comments:

Post a Comment